Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Don't Be Afraid!

One of Julia Child's catchphrases was "Don't be afraid!". She'd say this before deboning a duck or hacking apart a live lobster on camera. We at the store are all looking forward to the new Julie and Julia movie. I've read the book and must say that I really enjoyed reading about how Julie Powell gained self-confidence (and a whole new career!) through cooking her way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I've read Julia Child's My Life in France as well. Julia is truly an inspiration when you consider the sexism and lack of experience that she overcame to become the woman who made French cooking seem doable to the home cook. I expect that the film will give me warm fuzzies too. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjvJHsJD8ic&NR=1
So, we're running an essay contest that closes on August 5. Write a one page essay that answers these questions: Was there ever a time in your life where you decided to challenge yourself to do something despite your fear? Was there something that inspired you to go for what you want?

Send your essay to oldfirehousebooks@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment