Thursday, January 13, 2011

"I Solemnly Swear I am Up to No Good"

New years always bring with them lists, goals, resolutions, and great springs of optimism. At least, that seems to be the case for most people. I for one stopped making strict resolutions years ago, but I still indulge in writing up long lists of things I'd like to do or change throughout the year. Sometimes I put a good dent in these lists before they end up buried under a pile of mail (and of course 'Keep the Coffeetable Tidy' is always on the list somewhere), to be unearthed later like flowers popping up through snow. There are a few things on my lists that I never forget about though, and those are my reading goals.

Each year I set a goal of how many books I'd like to read, as well as a few select books I'd really like to finally get through. This year I'm hoping to read three books a month, for a grand total of 36. I'm confident I can meet this goal (and I had better now that I've posted it out where all the world can see). Then again, I usually meet my quota of books. It is the selected reading I never seem to get to. But this year will be different. This year I am finally going to dig in and read the Russians. I've been meaning to for ages, and this is the year. I can feel it. Call it destiny. 2011 will be the year I finally finish Anna Karenina.

But what about you? What books have you been meaning to get to and keep putting off? Do you set goals for yourself in regards to your reading? A lot of us here at the store resolved to start Goodreads accounts and to keep up with them. I for one would like to write more book reviews to share with all of you. So share your goals with us, and lets make them happen. After all, it's only 2011 once.

- t

1 comment:

  1. My goal is to keep up on all of my reading for school and hopefully finish one other book before spring break!

    ReplyDelete