Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Colors

Today one of my favorite books, The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta, came in blue. The book was released in a bright fuchsia for its hardcover and (at first) paperback forms. Today, it is blue. A very attractive blue, I have to say, but the color still threw me off. Everything else about the book is the same, from the blurbs on the back to the smoking shoes in front (it's an interesting book-- read more here.) Working in a book store for as long as I have, it's hard not to judge a book by it's cover. For most of the books I interact with each day, this is all I will ever see of them. This is also the first thing any customer sees when they decide to pick up one book, rather than the one directly to its left. The author's name and the title of the book have their role, but the cover itself is crucial.

 So, inspired by this seemingly arbitrary choice on the part of the publishers, I decided to do a little research. What I found what one part expected and one part surprising. I decided to share my findings here with you. Read on if it interests you-- it might make you see your favorite book in a whole new way!


http://blog.kissmetrics.com/color-psychology/

No comments:

Post a Comment