Thursday, July 11, 2013

Peter Heller, Poets, and Beer!

Hello my Firehouse friends. It has been a while since we last chatted. Thank you again to Chloe for posting another review and not letting the blog go neglected.

I'm writing this with Tired Brain (a thing I just made up) but thankfully there won't be too much content that requires me to craft eloquent sentences and present thought provoking ideas. Phew.

I mostly want to talk to you (again) about the great events we have coming up.

This Friday we have an amazing trio of poets giving readings right here in our store. We are super stoked to host Heather Taylor Johnson, author of Pursuing Love and Death, Cassandra Eddington, an MFA poetry graduate from CSU, and Jason Hardung, our 2013 Fort Collins Poet Laureate!

That's right; we got Fort Collins' Poet Laureate. Who's awesome? We are!

Tasty treats and beverages will be provided. That plus the poetry is like the triple threat of Friday night events. Why wouldn't you come? The reading begins at 6:00pm.

 

With it being summer and all, I'm sure many of you have been partaking in a nice cold brewski or two at the end of a hothothot day. Recycling those holders, bottles and caps is great, but why not make them into some cool art?

If you're not sure how to make awesome beer art, Shawn Gascoyne-Bowman can give you some help. She is the author of Beer Crafts (a very appropriate title).

In the neighborhood for a new purse? Why not crochet one with some beer cans?
Can never remember which Elli's Brown Ale is yours? Why not make a beer charm for it?
Could your bulletin board use some sprucing up? Put those beer caps to use!
Porch looking a little dull? Add some beer can wind spinners for some flair!

You can learn how to make all these things and a ton of others in Bowman's book. 



The event is taking place on the patio of The Forge Pub so you can have a good beer while you learn how to keep the fun going after the last drop has been drunk. The event starts at 6:00pm.

Okay, I saved the best for last (even though it comes first in the title). 

If you haven't heard, 1) where have you been? and 2) pay attention! Peter Heller, author of The Dog Stars will be at the Old Town Library this Sunday!

Peter Heller

Not only does the book look pretty, but I hear it's also good for reading. Who would've guessed?

Seriously. I've heard from several people that it is a great book. Justin absolutely loves it (though he confessed to me tonight parts of the book are beginning to fade. Time for a re-read!). I am currently reading it and while I won't pass any final judgment just yet, it certainly is keeping me interested.

At first it was a little hard to get into. You start off with not much exposition so you don't really know what is going on or why the main character (Hig is his name) is where he is. The syntax is also less than orthodox but you get a feel for it soon enough.

It is doubtful I'll finish the book before the event this Sunday, but I will finish it eventually. The Dog Stars is Heller's first book of fiction but he has written several other books of non-fiction. He is also a Colorado author based in Denver.

All of us here at the bookstore are very excited for this event. I highly recommend you stop by. The event begins at 2:00pm. 

That's all for me. I'm off to zone out for a bit before ending the night with a tasty ginger beer and some more of The Dog Stars. 

Cheers,

~Ren

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know is that this book is probably the most entertaining and accomplished work of fiction I've read all year.

    Marlene Detierro (Gun Parts and Accessories)

    ReplyDelete