Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Sister's Keeper- book review!

I just finished reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, you may have seen recent previews for the movie that is coming out shortly. I always prefer to read books before they are made into movies so I made sure to pick this up in time. I also was interested in this book since one of the local biology teachers here had it on their reading list for high schoolers. I thought it was an interesting pick for a high school biology class and I wanted to know why it was picked.

The story is about a 13 year old girl who was genetically conceived as a perfect donor for her older sister with leukemia and how she is filing for medical emancipation from her parents. She has been a donor for her sister her whole life and has been asked (told) she needs to donate a kidney now that her sister is in renal failure. The story is told from the view points of all the major characters, the 13 year old girl, her mother, father, brother, sister (who is dying), and her lawyer. It is full of really hard topics. When a child is created to be a perfect match at what point do you ask their opinion of everything? Very interesting, insightful and emotional. Jodi Picoult does a fantastic job presenting both sides and really getting your heart involved in the outcome. You don't know how you want the story to end at all.

I think it was a great choice as a high school reading book, it's an easy read but also a thinker, and I am super excited to see the movie and see if it's as good as the book! Feel free to come in to the shop, ask me about this book or pick up a copy for yourself and see what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment