Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Kara's Book Review...it's about time!

It's been a while since I posted anything on here. My main excuse is the start of school for me. Reading textbooks and doing homework in all my spare time doesn't leave a lot of room or even desire to read all that much. But when I do read I have concentrated on reading really enjoyable books. Whether they are memoirs or fiction I am looking for something to grab my attention and keep my interested. I guess I am looking for authors that are good enough that their books are true "escapes" from my reality!
One of my favorites that I have read is Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen. It's a memoir, and at first glance it doesn't seem like a light or easy book. It's the story of Rhoda's divorce and her "recovery". She ends up moving back in with her parents, who are Mennonites and live in a Mennonite community. I can't put my finger on why this book was so funny but I found myself laughing out loud so often I had to start reading it in private. You may have seen me around town, I would have been the girl doubled over laughing while reading... at one point I did have a waiter (I was reading during my lunch break) ask me if I was ok since it looked like I was crying! Rhoda's story is not necessarily funny itself but her way of handling it and looking at it and even writing about it will definitely make you laugh.
This book was just published and is worth picking up, come on in to the store and ask me about it or other books I recommend for a good laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment