Thursday, January 28, 2010

When two loves combine...


My two favorite things in life are books and crafts and as you may guess, I go crazy for craft books. Traditionally I stick to the older craft books- compendiums by Better Homes and Gardens and the like. But lately, with the resurgence of knitting, felting, and other crafts, some really wonderful books have been coming out!
Some that we have here in the store:

How to Sew a Button
And Other Nifty Things Your Grandmother Knew

by Erin Bried has EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW! There are super helpful tips in cooking, gardening, cleaning, dressing, nesting, thriving, loving, saving, joining, and entertaining. This book is essential to anyone moving out of their parents house or graduating college or needing to learn how to live on their own.

Yarn Bombing
The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
By Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain is one of the coolest books-from-blogs out right now. See high quality images of super talented knitters leaving their knit graffiti all over the world. From sweatbands around statues to a giant cozy for a military tank, this book has it all.

Wool Pets
Making 20 Figures with Wool Roving and a Barbed Needle
by Laurie Sharp is the book you need to start needle felting. These simple little creatures will get you excited about wool in a way that is probably illegal in most states. Despite the numerous jabbings my left pointer-finger incurred, I enjoyed making these little critters more than anything else I did all day yesterday. (I get a little obsessed) Come into the store to see an example of a baby bumble-bee I made and pick up the book.

Handmade Nation
The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design

by Faythe Levine and Cortney Heimerl.
At first I was put off by this book because it didn't have any How-To directions. Useless! I thought. But then I gave it a second chance. The book is organized into regions of the United States (North East, Midwest, etc) and presents hand-made artists with well written articles and high quality pictures. So for inspiration, exposure, and "because sweatshops suck" buy this book!

The Sewing Book
Clothes, Home Accessories, Best Tools, Step-By-Step Techniques, Creative Projects
by Alison Smith.
Uh, hello, drool! I am not even GOOD at sewing. My bright pink sewing machine and I are barely on speaking terms (yes we speak) and still, this book gives me tingles in all the right places. The tips of my fingers mostly. The book is expensive ($40) but has so many clear pictures in the step-by-step processes that it is well worth it. From a basic hem to magnificent ruffles, you can learn to sew it.

Martha Stweart's Encyclopedia of Crafts
An A-Z Guide With Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration.
Have you SEEN the things Martha Stewart has done? Her mere presence on my television sends me hiding my crafts behind my back and turns my legs into a Gelatin-Based Cranberry Mouse. The lady is insane. She survived prison and still remains America's most awesomest crafter. Martha's stuff looks better than store-bought and I wouldn't want to compare anything I made to the pictures BUT when it says "endless inspiration" it means endless inspiration. Beading, framing, marbleizing (a paper-painting design process), glitter, and wreaths, this book has it all. Perfect for the perfect crafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment