Monday, April 22, 2013

Events & Conscientious Shopping

I've introduced myself on here before, but I'll do it again. My name is Kelsey, I've worked at the bookstore for about five years now, and last year I became the Event Coordinator for Old Firehouse Books.

We have a lot of great events coming up at the store in the next month or so. Nancy Atherton of the Aunt Dimity series will be here this Thursday, Debut Theater Company is presenting some scenes from James and the Giant Peach on Saturday, and Judy McNary-- author of Coin-- will be with us on May 2nd.

Last but not least, we'll be seeing David Sedaris at the Lincoln Center on May 8th! I hope you got your ticket! His latest book, Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls, comes out tomorrow and we can't wait to sell you a copy.

But please-- buy it from us. I usually try not to beg like this, but events are important to me, especially for major authors like David Sedaris. I'll break it down for you real simple: Old Firehouse Books hosts events. Amazon.com does not host events. Amazon.com will never bring David Sedaris, or any other author, to Fort Collins. Hachette Publishing will not be able to tell how many David Sedaris books they sold through Amazon.com to Fort Collins. They will be able to tell how many copies Old Firehouse Books sold. If we don't sell many books, they aren't impressed, and authors like David Sedaris never come back again. So please... SHOP CONSCIENTIOUSLY! I love my job because I get to provide usually free and totally awesome events to the city I grew up in, but the bottom line is if we don't sell books, the events won't be nearly as cool. So please... support these great literary events, support authors, and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BOOKSTORE!

 But really... look at that face. Can you bear to disappoint Justin with poor David Sedaris book sales?? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment