Thursday, May 23, 2013

BookLikes: A place for people who like books!

So, if you're like many...and by that I'm pretty sure I mean all, of us here at Old Firehouse Books, you were none too happy to hear that GoodReads was bought by Amazon.

You probably thought about getting rid of your GoodReads account but then thought, 'How will I share my love of books with all my friends? Where will I go?' It's okay, we don't judge here at the bookstore (expect for the occasional book by its cover). And no need to stress or feel bad anymore. I have good news!

There is this new site called BookLikes. Justin described it as a Facebook/Tumblr/Pintrest hybrid (was that the three? Meh, close enough.). Which is pretty darn accurate, if I do say so myself. A few of us at the store decided to try it out, see if it was worth making the switch. (Spoiler alert: we decided it was.)

I'll give you a few of the highlights.

First you've got your dashboard, which is where posts from people you follow show up as well as updates about your own activity (like updating your shelf or posting a blog entry).

Then you've got your blog page. This is where you can post a text entry, pictures, a video, or link to another page. This feature is pretty much exactly like Tumblr.

The last thing that is important is your shelf. Here is where you display and record all the books you have read, are currently reading, or are planning to read. I really like this feature because it helps me keep track of all the books I've read (duh). Now, if I'm trying to remember if I've read something I can just check my BookLikes page. Though, I also have to remember to add it to BookLikes...we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, not the most thorough or in-depth review but I'll wrap up by saying BookLikes is a fun, simple to use site that has just what you need for your book-sharing needs. Check it out. I feel pretty sure you'll be happy to leave GoodReads behind with BookLikes now in the picture.

CLICK HERE to go to the BookLikes homepage. 

Until next week, my friends. Happy reading!

Cheers,

~Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment