Thursday, May 9, 2013

Transitional Book Anxiety (also known as TBA)

Immediately after I typed the 'also known as' bit I realized my initialism (it’s a thing)  also means 'to be announced.' Oh well, those letters don't own that phrase. I do what I want!

Anyway, hello Firehouse friends. It has been quite an exciting week for me. Lots of things are happening! I won't bore you with all the details but know that things are well and the future is looking bright.

Let's catch up on a little store related news, then we can discuss TBA.

Upcoming events include:

Mad Scientist Day! Come have some fun with easy, hands on science experiments. The event will take place from 11-2 on May 17th. This is a teacher work day so the kids will be out of school. You're going to need something to do, right?

Reinvent your chicken coop! Or just invent it for the first time. Matthew Wolpe will be here on May 19th at 3pm to talk chickens. Stop by and learn you something! 

Another thing to mention, the David Sedaris event last night at the Lincoln Center was FANTASTIC! I was at work for the first half of the talk but I showed up about 45min. out from the end of the presentation and got to sit in and hear a bit. 'Twas hilarious. We have tons of signed Sedaris books in the store so stop by and pick one up!

Okay, let us move on to Transitional Book Anxiety.

To begin, I have to give you a bit of background. We have staff pick shelves at the store, like most bookstores do. Since I've started working here, there have always been several books on my pick shelf that I have not read. I recently redid my shelf and have read every book I put on it except one. This book is called Subliminal and I recently gifted it to my boyfriend. This is the next book I plan on reading so I can at last have a pick shelf covered in books I have read.

Here is where the TBA comes in. I finished Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls yesterday, just in time for the David Sedaris event. Subliminal currently resides at my boyfriend's house and I will not be over there again until tomorrow. This means I have almost survived a full day without having in my possession the next book I want to read. And I still have one more day to go.

Sure, there was no guarantee I would've felt the desire to read today or will tomorrow (much less get the chance to read). But what if I had? What if I do!? This, my friends, is what I have named Transitional Book Anxiety: where one finds themselves in between books and without access to the next book they wish to read. TBA can also be experienced when you find yourself unsure of what to read next.

It...is a terrible thing to have.

Luckily mine will not last long but others may not be so fortunate. Sure, you might say I could read another book. And under other circumstances I might. But this time, I am on a mission, a mission to have a pick shelf filled with books I have read! And yes, you might ask why I don’t just put a different book on my shelf. Well I say to that, stop poking holes in my dreams!

Ahem. Anyway, just thought I would let you into my anxiety-filled world tonight. I'm sure many of you can relate. Don't worry, we will make it through!

Cheers, and I hope it is a long time before your next bout of TBA.

~Ren

No comments:

Post a Comment