Thursday, August 8, 2013

These people are funnier than you.

Sooo, I was gonna be lazy tonight and not do a blog...buuuut Justin told me I had to, so here I am.

Before I begin, I want to give a big thank you to Rebecca for posting on Sunday. We're all glad to have her back from Italy. Yay!

I would also like to thank Rebecca for helping me with a topic for tonight. Here goes...

The last month of my life has been hectic, to say the least. I've moved, helped others move, had a relationship end, went out of town for a week, and worked...soooo much work. Needless to say I've been rather stressed and overwhelmed a lot recently. The one thing I really want to do to help myself feel better is just sit down and read. I haven’t had a good reading session in weeks. Weeks people! It's crazy I'm still walking!

I will be spending this coming weekend at a friend’s house and I plan to have the whole weekend be full of reading a writing and lounging about eating bonbons...maybe. So, in honor of me getting my sanity and my reading time back, here a few books I am looking forward to reading (you know, as soon as I finally finish The Dog Stars) that I feel certain will cheer me up.

Bossypants by Tina Fey

I have heard nothing but good things about this book. I've watched almost every 30 Rock episode (the final season is still on my 'To watch' list), I love Mean Girls (yeah, I said it) and if interviews are anything to go off, Tina Fey just seems like a super awesome person. It's been forever and a day since I first saw Bossypants on the shelf. But I finally got my hands on a copy and plan to read it ASAP...and maybe watch some 30 Rock while I'm at it.

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by Daivd Sedaris

I read Me Talk Pretty One Day and Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls not long ago and loved both. Each kept me laughing throughout and I greatly respect and appreciate Sedaris' wit and cleverness, as well as how he bluntly and unapologetically discusses many things that the rest of us would be too embarrassed to talk about. I am looking forward to reading about more of his shenanigans.

Make Good Art by Neil Gaiman

For those of you who are unaware, Neil Gaiman gave a fantastic commencement speech for the University of the Arts class of 2012. Then, they made a book out of it. Genius! This speech really spoke to me and inspired me. I'm sure a lot of people feel this way. It will be great to have this little book on hand for when I'm not feeling creative or feeling down about life. Hey, maybe I should go buy it right now!

Coming up with three books I've been wanting to read that are on the more humorous side was a lot harder than I though. I wonder what that says about me...

Oh well, I'm looking forward to each and every one of these. It will be good to have book in hand again.

So, if you're feeling down and like life just isn't that great, 1) make good art and 2) read a good book, happy or sad. It's okay to escape for a while. But be sure to come back. You're nice to have around.

Cheers my Firehouse friends, and until next time, happy reading!

~Ren



No comments:

Post a Comment